You can change your user ID and password from within your QuickBooks Online (QBO) company. (Note: To consolidate multiple companies under one user ID and password, see this knowledgebase article:
How do I consolidate my companies under one login. )
To change your user ID from one email address to another
To change your user ID from an email address to a non-email user name
To change your password
Changing your user ID from one email address to another:
Sign in to your QBO company at https://qbo.intuit.com
- Click the Gear Icon in the upper right and click Your Account at the top right of the screen.
- Go to the Personal Info section and click Update Your Personal Information. (Or, click Personal info, then click the blue Edit Personal Info button).
- Scroll down to the Your Sign in Information section. The old email address will be listed there.
- Click the Edit button next to the email address. A pop-up window will open. (Or, click the Get confirmation code button and proceed to Step 7).
- Click Email Confirmation Code.
- Check the inbox for your old email address. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: If you don't have access to the old email address, please see our help article 1058:
- Copy the confirmation code from the email and return to the pop-up window or Sign-In Info section.
- Paste the confirmation code into the first field, or carefully type the code if you were unable to copy it from the email.
- Enter your existing password and your new email address.
- Click Update or the Save Changes button.
If you receive an error that the confirmation code is expired, then that particular code is no longer valid. See help article 5556 to fix this:
Note: Your new email address must be one that we currently do not have on file. If you see an error message at the top of the screen stating that the email address you chose is not available, you will need to pick a different email address and follow the steps again until your chosen email address is accepted.
Back to top
If your user ID is your email address and you want to change it to a non-email user name, a Master Administrator or a Company Administrator will need to add you as a new user by following these steps:
- Click the Gear Icon> Manage Users.
- Click the New button.
- Select the type of user access and click Next.
- Enter the email address and name, then click Next.
- Complete the screens until you get to the last one, and then click Finish.
Once you click Finish, an email will be sent to the user added. Have the user read the email, and then click the link to accept the invitation.
Once added as a new user the Master Administrator or Company Administrator will need to delete the old user access.
- Click Gear Icon> Manage Users.
- Click to highlight your old user access.
- On the right click Delete.
- When the message: Are you sure you want to delete? appears click Yes.
Note: These steps will also have to be taken if you are changing the user ID for the Master Administrator. You would then have to transfer the Master Administrator role to the new user and delete the old user. For instructions on how to transfer the Master Administrator role, see help article 1750, Transfer the Master Administrator role:
If your User ID being deleted has any Memorized Reports associated with it, they will be lost by deleting this User ID and will have to be recreated.
Back to top
To change your Password:
- Sign in to your QBO company at https://qbo.intuit.com
- Click the Gear Icon then Your Account at the top of the screen.
- Go to the Personal Info section and click Change Your Password.
- Enter the old password.
- Enter the new password into the New password field and retype it to verify the new one.
- Enter a password hint. (This step may not be required).
- Click the OK or Save button.
Back to top