QuickBooks Online uses a time-out function for security. This timeout helps prevent unauthorized persons from accessing your data when you're away from the computer. Here's how it works:
- If you're working in QuickBooks Online (QBO) and don't save anything for a specified time period, you'll see a "time out" security message.
- QBO measures your time of inactivity from the time that you last saved. This means that if you've been working on an invoice and walk away for 20 minutes, you could come back and be signged out. This might happen because even though you only left QBO for 20 minutes, it has been longer since the last time you saved.
- The best practice, if you're interrupted during the entry of a long task or form, is to save the item and then edit it later to complete it to avoid losing your work.
- To resume work, sign back in to your QBO company.
No data or workspace is saved when the application times out. However, the time-out duration can be changed, and here's how:
Choose Company > Preferences.
Click Company on the left menu.
Click Sign out after inactivity.
Choose the time period of inactivity (1, 2 or 3 hours).
- Timeout setting can only be changed by the company administrator and it applies to all company users