Search by using keywords
If automatic updates aren't working for your banking transactions for any reason, web-connect is a great temporary solution to get those transactions into QuickBooks Online. Web-connect can also be used to get more than 90 days' worth of transactions from your bank, if they offer that option (banks differ in the amount of data they let you download). QuickBooks Online can't control whether your bank lets you download more than 90 days' worth of transactions--you'll have to contact your bank and ask them how far back you can get a download, in .qbo, .ofx or .qfx format.
Web-connect can be done on any supported browser. If you are a PC user, you can download via IE, FireFox or Google Chrome. You can download by Safari, FireFox or Google Chrome if on a Mac.
Here are some limitations you should know about:
First, find and download the web-connect file from your financial institution's website:
1. Sign in to your bank's website.
2. Look for the ability to download data to a financial management/accounting program. If you have trouble finding this on your bank's site, you'll have to contact them directly; because these vary by financial institution, we have no way of knowing where they've located this information.
3. Locate and download one of the following file types:
4. Save the file to your computer's desktop. If you've ever downloaded this file before for either the desktop version of QuickBooks or Quicken, the file might attempt to auto-save to that location. If this occurs you can change the auto-open QFX files with Quicken behavior as follows:
The steps are the same for QuickBooks desktop, except in step 4 you’ll be looking for the QuickBooks QBO file type.
If you use a Macintosh:
- Locate the file to download, such as the QBO or QFX file, on your banks website, Right-click on Download file.
- Move to Finder.
- Click Choose file.
- When pop-up comes up, choose Download and look for the export file.
Now you can upload the file to QuickBooks Online (there are 2 different ways, depending on your version):
** If you don't see the option for "How Do I?", you have the new version of QuickBooks Online! Follow these steps to get to the interview window:
One thing to note is that if the transactions precede the opening balance that was entered into QuickBooks Online, the opening balance will change.
To see when you last did a Web Connect update:
You can also check in the Activity Log:
If you encounter an error or system issue while trying web-connect:
Try a different browser. Web-connect can be done on any supported browser that can access QuickBooks Online. If you are a PC user, you can download via IE, Firefox or Google Chrome. You can download your web-connect file via Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome if you use a Mac. If the error or system issues still occur:
Check our knowledgebase article KB 2370, Troubleshooting web-connect errors.