Moving files over from QuickBooks for Mac? We've created this step-by-step guide just for you. If you have an older version than 2013, download a free trial here: QuickBooks for Mac 2014 Trial then follow the steps below once it's installed.
- If your screen has the export option shown below, continue to the next step. If you don't see this option, and you are on QuickBooks Mac 2013 or later, you will just need to download a couple updates by going to QuickBooks > Check for QuickBooks Updates and update to the latest revision. (This may require you to restart QuickBooks)
2. Sign in to QuickBooks Online using your User ID and Password, or choose Create a New account if you haven't created one yet
3. Click OK, got it. We'll send you an email when the import is done with a link to sign in!
Once you have completed the import and are able to sign in to your account in QuickBooks Online, we suggest you create 2 reports in QBO and in QuickBooks Dsktop to ensure that your data was transferred correctly.
• Profit and Loss
• Balance Sheet
In order to compare data accurately, 2 things are vital to verify on your reports:
1. Ensure that you are customizing your date range to include All Dates in both products.
2. Your accounting method must be set to Accrual.
Note: if you generally use cash basis for your accounting, when comparing the two products it's imperative that you use accrual basis.
If you use Payroll:
A few notes about imported payroll information:
- Transactions and payroll accounts are converted in order to balance your books, but details behind the transactions (such as, payroll item breakdowns and employee year-to-date numbers) do not convert.
- Paychecks and liability payments convert as regular checks.
- Liability refunds, adjustment transactions, and opening balance transactions that affect accounts convert to journal entries.
To complete your payroll setup:
- In the navigation bar, click Employees.
- Employees who have not been paid in the current year will automatically be listed as Not Paid in 2015.
- Click Complete payroll setup to enter and/or verify your YTD payroll totals, and Employee information.
- Continue through the prompted flow to complete your setup, then use Run Payroll when you are ready to pay your Employees.
- When supported, your Payroll History (the setup screen) will come over, and you will only need to verify the totals. If your Payroll History does not convert we will guide you on how to enter these YTD totals in order to get going again.
- If you reported Group Term Life Insurance or S-Corp Owners Health Insurance, our system will recalculate net pay as per the calculations for QuickBooks Online Payroll. Be sure to keep this in mind when comparing your QuickBooks Online Payroll Summary reports to your QuickBooks Desktop Summary reports